The SFSB is responsible for investigation of:
• traffic accidents;
• vehicle identification number;
• fibres and textile articles;
• polymer materials;
• metal and alloys;
• oil products;
• objects of biological origin;
• morphologic and chemical investigation of the gun shot residues with the help of the scanning electron microscope.
Apart from the above-listed priority activities, the SFSB also carries out:
• document investigation;
• authorship investigation;
• computer forensics;
• fingerprint identification;
• examination of surface marks, impressions and shapes (e.g., toolmarks, shoeprints, stub and special analyses);
• in certain cases, forensic ballistic examination.